The Keene Mill PTA's goal is to enrich our children's education
and help connect families with our school community.
To achieve this, each year we support a variety of programs, host educational and entertaining events,
and publish materials for our families. We also spearhead teacher and staff recognition activities during the year.
We encourage you to join the Keene Mill PTA...not only staff, parents/guardians, but grandparents
and community members can join, too. The cost to join is $10.00 of which 2/3 remains with our PTA and
the remainder goes to the state and national PTA. A form will come home with your child at the beginning
of year for you to fill out and return to school.
Proposed KMES PTA Bylaws Renewal
Virginia State PTA | National PTA
- Copy Kangas Sign Up here.
2017 Spirit Wear: T-shirts and Hoodies
Want to put an hour or two of your time to work helping our teachers? Copy Kanga Volunteers commit to a regular schedule of making copies for our teachers. By taking some of the copy burden off of the teachers, we hope to free them up to spend their valuable time planning and preparing for their work in the classroom. The teachers seem very excited by this program and really appreciate the support! Our goal is to get a consistent group of volunteers, so if you are interested in helping weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, please contact Copy Kanga Coordinator Gissell Jimenez at firstname.lastname@example.org
KMES NEWS & NOTES
Miss a weekly update from the principal?
You can find all of them here.
- Chess Club (Chess Wizards) — Join Chess Wizards this Spring for challenging chess lessons, exciting tournaments, fun team activities, and
more! If you're brand new to the game, we'll teach you the basics and get you playing in no time. If you're a
seasoned checkmate artist, we'll show you new ways to let your creativity loose on and off the chess board. Meets Tuesday mornings.
- Theater Program (Acting for Young People) — Students learn to use their own unique qualities to act, using theater games, improvisation,
storytelling, and text. Through individual and group activities, young actors build confidence and
each will make a significant contribution to our final presentation, held on the last class day. This
program has been specially adapted for after school programs from AFYP's expanded curriculum of
classes and Summer Acting Camps, and is ideal for new and returning students with any level of
experience. Meets Wednesday afternoons.
- Minecraft Modding (STEMexCEL) — Minecraft Modding teaches students important problem-solving and design skills by making changes
to the popular multiplayer game itself. Programming fundamentals are reinforced by designing and
implementing large-scale Minecraft modifications. Students will learn at their pace following their
personal learning style and interests.
Meets Thursday afternoons.
- Graphic Design (STEMexCEL) — Graphic Design will teach students to think about art in a pragmatic way so they may consider every
aspect of the composition to create stronger pieces. Students will learn about typography, branding,
positive/negative spacing, color theory, orientation, contrast, and eye movement to create art with
the user in mind.
Meets Thursday afternoons.
PTA General Membership Meetings
- Sept. — Audit and Budget approval
- Mar. — Elect nominating committee
- Apr. — Present Officer Slate
- May — Officer elections
PTA Officers 2017-2018
- President - Penny Dunlop
- 1st VP - Maggie Hamadi
- 2nd VP - Elyssa Pinkard
- Treasurer - Mayra Johnson
- Secretary - Mary Luger
- Membership Chair - Stacey Brumbaugh
- Volunteer Coordinator - Kelly Wevley
Board Meetings 2017-18
Location: Keene Mill Elementary Conference Room