The Keene Mill PTA's goal is to enrich our children's education
and help connect families with our school community.
To achieve this, each year we support a variety of programs, host educational and entertaining events,
and publish materials for our families. We also spearhead teacher and staff recognition activities during the year.
We encourage you to join the Keene Mill PTA...not only staff, parents/guardians, but grandparents
and community members can join, too. The cost to join is $10.00 of which 2/3 remains with our PTA and
the remainder goes to the state and national PTA. A form will come home with your child at the beginning
of year for you to fill out and return to school.
Proposed KMES PTA Bylaws Renewal
Virginia State PTA | National PTA
- Copy Kangas Sign Up here.
2017 Spirit Wear: T-shirts and Hoodies
Want to put an hour or two of your time to work helping our teachers? Copy Kanga Volunteers commit to a regular schedule of making copies for our teachers. By taking some of the copy burden off of the teachers, we hope to free them up to spend their valuable time planning and preparing for their work in the classroom. The teachers seem very excited by this program and really appreciate the support! Our goal is to get a consistent group of volunteers, so if you are interested in helping weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, please contact Copy Kanga Coordinator Gissell Jimenez at email@example.com
KMES NEWS & NOTES
Miss a weekly update from the principal?
You can find all of them here.
2017-18 PTA Events
Be sure to check back as events will be added to this list throughout the year. Dates subject to change.
- Aug. 31 — Back-to-School Night K-2
- Sept. 5 — Back to School Night 3-6
- Sept. 8 — Booster-thon Fun Run (not a PTA event)
- Sept. 15 — Back-to-School Picnic
- Oct. 2 — Principal's Coffee/PTA Volunteer Coffee
- Oct. 14 — Pyramid Challenge
- Oct. 27 — Costume Bingo
- Dec. 1 — Family Fun Night/Raffle
- Jan. 9-10 — Student Spelling Bee
- Feb. 1 — Family Science Night
- Feb. 20-Mar. 2 — Book Drive
- Feb. 26-Mar. 3 — Read-a-thon Fundraiser
- March 22 — Teacher/6th Graders Volleyball Game
- May 4 — International Night
- May 7-11 — Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 10 — Innovation Fair
- Jun. 5 — Principal's Coffee/PTA Meeting
Teacher Appreciation Week
We would like to invite all students and parents to show extra gratitude to their teachers and specialists. The Theme is Dr. Seuss but, we don't have to involve a goat or a boat, below are the daily themes. These items do not need to be expensive and you can pick and choose which days you join in.
- Monday - A thoughtful note
- Tuesday - Daisy-Head Mayzie
- Wednesday - Fox in Socks
- Thursday - Tell your favorite joke or riddle
- Friday - The Cat in The Hat
Download Flyer for more information »
Ways to Help KMES
Shop at AmazonSmile and Amazon will make a donation to Keene Mill Elementary PTA.
KMES PTA is now using pay4schoolstuff.com for online payments.
- RUNFIT KIDZ — Are you ready to run? Learn about nutrition and proper running technique? Then join the Keene Mill RunFit Kidz spring team! RunFit Kidz is the only running program in the area taught by certified fitness professionals. Our non-competitive program is a wonderful place where kids are encouraged to strive for their own personal goals, be active with friends and build confidence. Spring program includes a Celebration 5K at The Workhouse, Lorton, VA! Meets Tuesday mornings.
- CHESS Club (Chess Wizards) — Join Chess Wizards this spring for challenging chess lessons, exciting tournaments, fun team activities, and more! If you're brand new to the game, we'll teach you the basics and get you playing in no time. If you're a seasoned checkmate artist, we'll show you new ways to let your creativity loose on and off the chess board. Meets Tuesday mornings.
- Green Thumb Club — Catch an insect, grow a terrarium, and save the earth….all while learning about nature and the world around us through exciting expeditions, science, and environmental exploration. Our Green Thumb Club will ignite your child's passion for nature, recycling, and learning about the earth through educational activities and science investigations. It's time to join the Green Thumb Club! Meets Tuesday afternoons.
- Intro to Game Design (STEM exCEL) — Intro to Game Design introduces students to important game design concepts so they may use their creativity and problem-solving skills to create fun, complete and shareable games! The course teaches students important factors they need to consider when creating a game, such as game mechanics, player experience, art, story and how to work within your scope. Via discussions, activities and computer work lead by our instructors, students will learn how to make games from beginning to end. At the end of the session, students will leave with their own account information, so they may continue developing games at home and sharing them with friends and family.
Meets Thursday afternoons.
- Robotics (STEMexCEL) — STEM exCEL Robotics is designed for students looking to get started with robotics, and who are possibly interested in learning competitive robotics. In this course, students learn how to design, build, and program Lego Mindstorms EV3 robots by constructing and programming a robot. By applying engineering concepts as well as advanced sensor programming skills, students will perfect their design and programming to solve a variety of challenges. These engineering, design and programming concepts serve as a great stepping stone for students who have an interest in competing in robotics competitions such as First Lego League (FLL).
Meets Thursday afternoons.
PTA General Membership Meetings
- Sept. — Audit and Budget approval
- Mar. — Elect nominating committee
- Apr. — Present Officer Slate
- May — Officer elections
PTA Officers 2017-2018
- President - Penny Dunlop
- 1st VP - Maggie Hamadi
- 2nd VP - Elyssa Pinkard
- Treasurer - Mayra Johnson
- Secretary - Mary Luger
- Membership Chair - Stacey Brumbaugh
- Volunteer Coordinator - Kelly Wevley
Board Meetings 2017-18
Location: Keene Mill Elementary Conference Room