The Keene Mill PTA's goal is to enrich our children's education
and help connect families with our school community.
To achieve this, each year we support a variety of programs, host educational and entertaining events,
and publish materials for our families. We also spearhead teacher and staff recognition activities during the year.
We encourage you to join the Keene Mill PTA...not only staff, parents/guardians, but grandparents
and community members can join, too. The cost to join is $10.00 of which 2/3 remains with our PTA and
the remainder goes to the state and national PTA. A form will come home with your child at the beginning
of year for you to fill out and return to school.
Proposed KMES PTA Bylaws Renewal
Virginia State PTA | National PTA
- Whole Foods Community Giving Program Flyer
- Copy Kangas Sign Up here.
2017 Spirit Wear: T-shirts and Hoodies
Want to put an hour or two of your time to work helping our teachers? Copy Kanga Volunteers commit to a regular schedule of making copies for our teachers. By taking some of the copy burden off of the teachers, we hope to free them up to spend their valuable time planning and preparing for their work in the classroom. The teachers seem very excited by this program and really appreciate the support! Our goal is to get a consistent group of volunteers, so if you are interested in helping weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, please contact Copy Kanga Coordinator Gissell Jimenez at email@example.com
KMES NEWS & NOTES
Miss a weekly update from the principal?
You can find all of them here.
2017-18 PTA Events
Be sure to check back as events will be added to this list throughout the year. Dates subject to change.
- Aug. 31 — Back-to-School Night K-2
- Sept. 5 — Back to School Night 3-6
- Sept. 8 — Booster-thon Fun Run (not a PTA event)
- Sept. 15 — Back-to-School Picnic
- Oct. 2 — Principal's Coffee/PTA Volunteer Coffee
- Oct. 14 — Pyramid Challenge
- Oct. 27 — Costume Bingo
- Dec. 1 — Family Fun Night/Raffle
- Jan. 9-10 — Student Spelling Bee
- Feb. 1 — Family Science Night
- Feb. 20-Mar. 2 — Book Drive
- Feb. 26-Mar. 3 — Read-a-thon Fundraiser
- March 22 — Teacher/6th Graders Volleyball Game
- Apr. 5 — Innovation Fair
- May 4 — International Night
- May 7-11 — Teacher Appreciation Week
- Jun. 5 — Principal's Coffee/PTA Meeting
National PTA Art Program
Reflections is a national PTA arts program. Students create artwork interpreting the 2017-2018 national theme: "Within Reach". More information coming soon!
Keene Mill ES submission date October 23
Ways to Help KMES
Shop at AmazonSmile and Amazon will make a donation to Keene Mill Elementary PTA.
KMES PTA is now using pay4schoolstuff.com for online payments.
- Zumba (Kids in Motion) — Zumba for Kids is a perfect fit for children and it creates an environment of excitement around being healthy
and active! This class helps children making friends, get active after school, and love dance fitness. Zumba
instructors are certified Zumba Kids instructors through Zumba International. Meets Monday afternoons.
- Chess Club (Chess Wizards) — Join Chess Wizards this Fall for challenging chess lessons, exciting tournaments, fun team activities, and
more! If you're brand new to the game, we'll teach you the basics and get you playing in no time. If you're a
seasoned checkmate artist, we'll show you new ways to let your creativity loose on and off the chess board. Meets Tuesday mornings.
- Basketball (Best Youth Hoops) — Get lots of exercise. Learn the fundamentals of a new sport without pressure. Gain confidence. Have
fun. Gain focus. Students will learn at their own pace: ball-handling, dribbling, passing and receiving,
footwork, shooting techniques, and the skills necessary to play on a team. Meets Tuesday afternoons.
- Art Factory(Little Scholars) — This is a DIY class for kids who love to express themselves with one-of-a-kind masterpieces like
canvas art, bead making, and water colors. Meets Tuesday afternoons.
- Theater Program (Acting for Young People) — Students learn to use their own unique qualities to act, using theater games, improvisation,
storytelling, and text. Through individual and group activities, young actors build confidence and
each will make a significant contribution to our final presentation, held on the last class day. This
program has been specially adapted for after school programs from AFYP's expanded curriculum of
classes and Summer Acting Camps, and is ideal for new and returning students with any level of
experience. Meets Wednesday afternoons.
- Intro to CS & Coding (STEMexCEL) — This class will teach programming logic without the requirement of learning a new language, making
it the perfect foundation for any other CS or technology subject. With help from our experienced
instructors, students will learn functions, variables, conditionals and more in a fun environment; and
will leave the course with their final project, and a strong base for future technological learning.
Meets Thursday afternoons.
- Robotics (STEMexCEL) — In this course, students learn how to design, build, and program Lego Mindstorms EV3 robots by
constructing and programming a robot. By applying engineering concepts as well as advanced sensor
programming skills, students will perfect their design and programming to solve a variety of
challenges. Meets Thursday afternoons.
PTA General Membership Meetings
- Sept. — Audit and Budget approval
- Mar. — Elect nominating committee
- Apr. — Present Officer Slate
- May — Officer elections
PTA Officers 2017-2018
- President - Penny Dunlop
- 1st VP - Maggie Hamadi
- 2nd VP - Elyssa Pinkard
- Treasurer - Mayra Johnson
- Secretary - Mary Luger
- Membership Chair - Stacey Brumbaugh
- Volunteer Coordinator - Kelly Wevley
Board Meetings 2016-17
Location: Keene Mill Elementary Conference Room